Sunday, September 13, 2009

ARE WE STARTING TO EMBRACE CERTAIN MENTAL DISORDERS?
Well, this appears to be true in the following article about antidepressant use. Studies show that antidepressant use has doubled in the U.S. between 1996 and 2005. Of course, some may argue that doctors are too quick to prescribe pills. However, I think this may be proof that social acceptance (or elimination of stigma) can encourage others to seek treatment (including therapy). As always, I commend anyone who battles mental illness and accepts treatment as a means to recovery. Here is the article.  

2 comments:

  1. I think, Amber, that people have accepted depression, not mental illness in general. When I first started telling people I had a mental illness, they assumed it was depression and I let them assume it was. Now I tell anyone who will listen, and I choose to disclose my mental illness to, that it's schizophernia. Even when they want to know what it is I say it similar to depression. It is a start, though.
    Hugs,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right Amanda. Depression may be a start but we have a long way to go when it comes to acceptance of all mental illness. Maybe this is just a glimmer of hope:)

    ReplyDelete