Thursday, January 7, 2010

EVEN COMEDIANS BATTLE DEPRESSION
I often wondered if Artie Lang's humor was a way for him to mask his inner deamons. I am an avid Howard Stern listener so I have witnessed Artie's honesty about his drug addiction and depression. His admissions have helped others, who may be influenced by stigma, understand this very real illness. Some would call in and criticize him, saying depression is not a real disease, or how could he bed ridden with crippling mental anguish. Well, I hope all of those who let their disbelief get in the way of their sympathy will feel something when they read the following:

"Howard Stern sidekick and "Beer League" star Artie Lange was hospitalized this weekend after a suicide attempt at his Hoboken apartment, according to the New York Post. Sources tell the paper the bulbous funnyman stabbed himself nine times, including three deep wounds. A bloodied Lange was discovered by his mother Saturday morning. The 42-year-old has battled addiction in the past and has been absent from Stern's show on Sirius radio for over a month."


This was not Artie's first suicide attempt. If you listen to the show, you know that Artie is obviously dealing with a mental illness and I commend him for seeking help from a therapist recently (something that took years). I often thought that the death of his father caused much of his drug addiction but I have come to realize that, like myself, his inability to deal with his father's death may result from the illness itself. I see now how so many creative people are dealing with obsessive thoughts and other mental issues. There is a sensitivity there that you can't shake and it often is the reason for your creativity and pain. I understand this struggle very well. I am trying to improve on my own mental health but it is something that you tend to daily. I truly hope Artie is OK and my heart goes out to him and his supportive and loving family. They have also been through a great deal over the years. When I read how his mother discovered him while  delivering food (she made with love), I thought of my own mother and how she has done so much for my brother. Thank you mom!

1 comment:

  1. I hope Howard Stern listeners will take Artie's story to heart. Hopefully this is an eye-opener and people will take addiction and mental illness more seriously.

    ReplyDelete